I peel! but who knew this little piece of fungus could cause so much debate?
I peel them as i have heard most commercial mushrooms are grown in reconstituted horse poo, and i prefer my meals without that special ingredient.
But my husband tells me not to peel them. (my kitchen, my rules)
They can’t be washed as i feel that ruins them, as they absorb water and will make them mushy
when you cook them.
A friend of mine is a fantastic chef and they peel them as they want everything that goes out the kitchen to be perfect.
I know keeping the skin on is better for you (like most things – except pork which is a shame as i love pork crackling) as it has most of the nutrients, perhaps i need to think about just wiping them or brushing them, but old habits are hard to break.
What do you do?
Make sure you keep mushrooms in a paper bag in the fridge